GOAL- The Majors Division continues to stress and reinforce the fundamentals of softball and allow players to experience the value of teamwork. Players will bat from a player pitched ball. Training will focus on proper throwing, catching, fielding, hitting, bunting and base running techniques. Further emphasis is placed on sliding, base stealing and running on passed balls. AGE GROUP– 11 to 12 years old. Teams are assigned by tryouts and draft. SCHEDULE– Spring Training – April, twice per week.
Games – April through June
Clinics – To be announced
All Stars – June through early August
LOCATIONS - Majors Division regular season games are played primarily at Pragemann Park.
Practices may be conducted at various Wallingford town fields.
All-Star Tournament play is introduced up to the National level with travel to District 5 sites throughout central Connecticut for state tiurnaments. If successful at the state level, the all-star team will travel to regional and national all-star tournaments throughout the United States.
- The official game ball is the Little League authorized 12” softball.
BATTERS AND RUNNERS (OFFENSE)
- The batting order includes all players present and ready to play.
- A team will remain at bat until three outs have been recorded.
- Concentration on batting skills as players learn to hit fastpitch.
- Teams will use nine (9) available players on defense.
- Players must play at least two (2) innings on defense.
- Emphasis on proper positioning for hit balls and steal situations.
- GLLSOW encourages coaches to promote new pitchers in game situations. CLINICS
- Skill and fun type clinics are offered throughout the season by veteran coaches/board members to further improve the player’s skills and enjoyment of the game.